Be a Master Food Preserver
Becoming a Master Food Preserver
UCCE Mariposa is proud to introduce you to our newest program--the UC Master Food Preserver Program, serving Mariposa, Tuolumne, Merced, Madera, and Fresno Counties! We will be offering our second training class beginning in January to June of 2023 and look forward to providing education on safe food preservation thereafter.
2023 Master Food Preserver Training Class
What are Master Food Preservers?
Master Food Preservers are volunteer educators associated with the University of California Agriculture and Natural Resources Division. We educate local communities about safe and healthy food preservation and preparation methods. Our volunteers work together to offer workshops, demonstrations, youth events, food donation events and more.
Who can apply?
- Priority will be given to Mariposa, Tuolumne, Merced, Madera and Fresno County residents. If space allows, neighboring county residents may be accepted.
- Applicants must be comfortable using a computer and accessing the internet. Class lessons, quizzes and homework are online; class communication is via email.
- This will be a joint training program with lab classes held in Mariposa County. Students must be willing to drive (approximately once per month) to Mariposa or Catheys Valley for the 7 lab classes (held Feb-June 2023).
How to Apply
- Attend one of two online informational meetings to learn more about the volunteer requirements as well as the selection and training process. Each session lasts one hour and will be recorded. Attendance or viewing of the information meeting is a mandatory pre-requisite to apply. Please rsvp online to attend either training information meeting or to receive a link to the meeting recording at http://ucanr.edu/2023-mfp-training-mtg.
- Complete and submit the online application by the end of Sunday, December 4, 2022. Interviews will be between December 7 and 22.
What We’ll Do
- Review applicants. Main criteria for acceptance: 1) prior community service, 2) experience teaching, either by giving presentations, writing, or in one-on-one situations, 3) experience/interest in home food preservation.
- Request a DOJ Clearance, including fingerprinting.
- Teach you how to preserve food successfully using scientifically researched home processes.
- Teach you how to educate our community about safe home food preservation.
- Provide you with plenty of fun volunteer and continuing education opportunities.
What You’ll Do If Accepted
- Pay the $175 course fee by January 4, 2021.
- Attend the 10 classes from 2:00 – 4:00 pm on the Friday dates listed, as well as the in-person labs. Only one class may be missed and must be completed outside of normal class time with a mentor.
- Complete the Live Scan fingerprinting process by February 24, 2023. Forms will be provided in your acceptance packet.
- Attend monthly program business meetings on the first Thursdays at 4:30 as often as possible. At this time meetings are online via Zoom to accommodate our five counties.
- Attend at least one public class hosted by a UC Master Food Preserver Program; either in person or online, by April 7, 2023, as part of your training program.
- Complete 50 volunteer hours between January 27, 2023 and June 30, 2024. Thereafter, you will be asked to complete 25 volunteer and 12 continuing education hours each year to remain active (July 1 to June 30).
- Pass an annual food safety reappointment quiz and complete reappointment paperwork.
Lecture classes & labs:
Online lecture classes via Zoom: Fridays, 2:00 pm - 4:00 pm
Hands-on labs: days to be announced (approximately twice per month)
In-person hands-on labs
Hands-on Labs will be held in Mariposa County. Students must be willing to attend a lab approximately twice per month (dates to be determined). Makeup labs will be offered.
Training Fee: $175.00
|9/7||Application Period Opens|
|10/21||Training Info Meeting|
|11/18||Training Info Meeting|
|1/26||Pre-Class Zoom Prep (opt)|
|1/27||Class 1: Orientation|
|2/3||Class 2: Food Safety|
|2/10||Class 3: Cold Storage|
|TBA||Lab 1: Cold Storage|
|2/24||Fingerprint Forms Due|
|2/24||Class 4: High Acid Canning|
|TBA||Lab 2: High Acid Canning|
|3/10||Class 5: Pickling/Fermenting|
|TBA||Lab 3: Pickling/Fermenting|
|3/24||Class 6: Fruit Spreads|
|TBA||Lab 4: Fruit Spreads|
|4/14||Class 7: Low Acid Canning|
|TBA||Lab 5: Low Acid Canning|
|4/28||Class 8: Dehydrating|
|TBA||Lab 6: Dehydrating|
|5/5||Class 9: Emergency Prep|
|5/19||Class 10: Being an MFP|