Adult Volunteer Enrollment
Being a Volunteer
Our volunteers are a key part of the 4-H Youth Development Program.
By volunteering, you are helping to grow the skills of 4-H youth to be our future leaders.
All 4-H volunteers must apply and be appointed annually.
Process to become a new 4-H Adult Volunteer
1. Find a club
See our clubs to find one near you. You can also contact Donna Wice at 209 966-4829 or firstname.lastname@example.org or at the Mariposa County Extension office for help in finding clubs near you to start you on the process of becoming a volunteer. Contact the club leader to learn more about the volunteer opportunities available in the club.
2. Screening Process
All new 4-H volunteers must go through a screening process. Our #1 priority in 4-H is the safety of our young people. We do all we can to protect young people and keep them safe while they are in our care. When you become a 4-H volunteer, you are part of the plan to keep our young people safe.
1. Complete the 4-H Volunteer Interest Survey in English or Spanish.
2. Create an adult volunteer profile on 4hOnline.*
Please make sure the Family email address in the system is correct and one you check regularly. The email will be used for most communications and to confirm your volunteer application.
*For Spanish: the 4hOnline system is only in English. You can fill in the paper enrollment packet in Spanish and turn it in to your club leader or county staff for them to enter it into 4hOnline for you. Please keep a copy of the paper forms in your records.
3. Complete a California Department of Justice Live Scan background check.
An important part of providing a safe environment is to conduct background checks on our volunteers and staff. Everyone that will be spending an extended time with our 4-H youth is screened.
- Download the request for livescan and print 3 copies.
- Take the forms with you to a Live Scan location and get fingerprinted.
- Adult volunteers are responsible for paying any fees charged at the Live Scan location.
- The Live Scan staff will keep one copy of the form, and you should keep one copy for your records. Please mail or drop off the remaining copy to the County 4-H Office for our records.
3. New Volunteer Training
1. Online Training
All new 4-H volunteers are required to take the New Volunteer Training online courses in the eXtension system before they become approved as volunteers. This interactive training series introduces you to the best practices in positive youth development that are used in 4-H. The trainings are available in English. Spanish training is coming soon!
After you complete and submit your 4hOnline profile you will receive an automated message with the eXtension login instructions. The email will go to the Family email account you entered in 4hOnline.
If you used a paper enrollment form, you will have to check with your county 4-H Representative for the login instructions.
4. Pay the $21 enrollment fee online or at the office.
Pay online at http://ucanr.edu/survey/survey.cfm?surveynumber=21323 or by check payable to UC Regents to the county office.
The County Director reviews and approves 4-H volunteer appointments after:
- You are signed up in 4hOnline.
- You have passed the screening process.
- You have completed all of the online New Volunteer training required.
Once you are approved, the fun begins! Thank you for joining our 4-H family!
4-H has grown in California because of the dedication of our volunteers. Some of our volunteers have supported 4-H for 10, 20 and 30 years or more!
Re-apply annually by October 1st
All 4-H volunteers must be appointed annually. If you are a current 4-H Adult Volunteer, to continue in the next year you need to re-apply and be re-appointed by October 1st to continue with no break in service.
1. Update your 4hOnline profile.
Log in to 4hOnline to update your profile to enroll for the new year. Please make sure the email address in the system is correct and one you check regularly.
2. Take the Returning Volunteer Training in the online eXtension system.
You will receive the login information sent to your Family email after you update and submit your 4hOnline profile application for the new year. If you used a paper enrollment form, you will have to check with your county 4-H Representative for the instructions.
3. Pay the $21 enrollment fee to the office or online.
Pay either online at
or by check payable to UC Regents to the county office.
4. Get approved as a 4-H Volunteer.
After all the application requirements and mandatory trainings are completed, the County Director reviews and approves the volunteer appointments.
NOTE: If you have a break in service
You have a break in service if you are not currently enrolled as a 4-H volunteer when you apply for the new year. Please follow the process for New Volunteers when applying.