Gardening for the Physically Challenged
Making gardening more accessible!
- WSU Extension’s guide to adaptations for gardeners of all ages and abilities -- “Gardening for Life”
- Oregon State University Extension’s series “Making Gardening Easier”
- "Wheelchair Gardening"
- Maryland Cooperative Extension’s “Garden Friendly” series on making a garden friendly for the physically challenged
- Thrive: Carry on Gardening
- UC Master Gardener Toni Gattone’s website
Building Healthy Soil
Testing your soil can be a good way to ensure that plants are receiving all the necessary macronutrients and micronutrients.
- A basic soil test can be purchased at your nearest garden or hardware store.
- For a more complete analysis, consider one of these Soil Testing Labs in the Central Valley .
Vegetable Gardening Resources
Vegetable Gardening Basics
- Vegetable Garden Basics UCANR 8059
- LA Victory Garden Initiative Vegetable Gardening Handbook
- Mariposa County Frost Dates by Location
- Growing Vegetables in Containers
Planting and Caring for a Home Orchard
This website provides access to UC fact sheets and other UC publications relating to fruits and nuts grown in the backyard.
It also provides information for backyard gardeners and consumers about UC research, contacts, courses, publications, news, and events related to backyard and consumer fruit and nut crop issues.
Also listed are worthwhile links to organizations and industries which complement UC to provide a complete resource for backyard gardeners.
Selecting Fruit Trees
The following articles provide more information on selecting fruit trees for a successful home orchard.