Events and Community Projects
There is a Sierra Nevada Foothills Native Plant Demonstration Garden located at 5039 Fairgrounds Rd. Click here for a Plant Identification Guide to this garden.
Plant and Garden Art Sales
The 2019 SPRING SALE will be held on Saturday, April 27 from 8:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. (or until sold out)
- Plants include: tomatoes, vegetables, herbs, California natives, drought-tolerant, annuals, perennials, succulents, grasses, trees, shrubs, and house plants. Bring boxes to transport.
- Hand Crafted Garden Art.
The sale takes place at the Mariposa Fairgrounds, 5007 Fairgrounds Road at the Amigo Picnic Area.
The FALL SALE will be held on Saturday, October 5, 2019 from 9:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m.
This event features perennials, California natives and succulents, as well as other surprises. The sale takes place at the Coulterville Firehouse Demonstration Garden at the intersection of Highways 49 North and J132 in Coulterville.
Arrive early for the best selections:
- Garden Plants; Succulents, Herbs & Natives;
- Salvias, Rudbeckia, & Lavender are just a few of the flowering plants that will delight your senses;
- There will be an information booth for gardening questions by local Master Gardeners.
14th Annual Spring Garden Tour
Please join us on Saturday, May 11 from 9:00 am – 4:00 pm, for a tour of five gardens in Coulterville and Greeley Hill.
This year’s tour revolves around the dual themes of challenge and inspiration. You know the challenges of gardening in our area’s varied elevations, poor soil, hilly land and erratic weather; now find the inspiration to overcome them.
Increasingly, it’s all about the water as we swing yearly between deluge and drought. Explore the use of berms, swales and terraces to tame the deluge on steep slopes. Observe the most effective method of composting and see the abundance it supports.
As you admire the inventiveness of homeowner-designed greenhouses, a farm-to-table garden in a most unexpected place, and some clever ways to thwart birds and deer, you’ll realize that where gardeners are involved no problem is insurmountable. Persistence and informed practices allow our local gardeners to grow an amazing variety of landscape and food plants that thrive in our hot summers and cold winters. During the tour, knowledgeable docents will be on hand to guide you and answer your gardening questions.
Plan an inspirational Mother’s Day weekend outing and take home great garden ideas by ordering your tickets on-line and pay by credit card. The tour will take place rain or shine. All participants, including children, must have tickets. Please call us at 209-966-2417 with any questions.
- $12.00 Advance Tickets; $15.00 Day of Tour
- Tickets available at: UCCE Mariposa Office (5009 Fairgrounds Rd., Mariposa CA), Coulterville & Mariposa Visitor Center, Sierra Flowers in Coulterville, Chocolate Soup, or from any Master Gardener
Master Gardener docents will be on hand at each location to answer your gardening questions. Brochures will be available at each location to guide you through your walk and identify the plants.